Thursday, March 9, 2017

U2 - Live in Mexico City - 2011

 
I know that there was a commercial release of this tour.  It's a great release, and has a lot of awesome shots, and the video for it kicks ass.  Yes, yes, I know.  But, there is so much more.  From what I understood of the tour, nearly every show was recorded through the soundboard.  Why?  I don't know.  I'll leave that for others to explain.  All I know, is that you can find over a dozen perfect soundboard recordings from this tour, and choosing just one is hard to do.  This one kicks ass....

I prefer actual bootleg recordings of concerts over commercial releases in a lot of cases.  The commercial releases edit out a lot of banter, false starts, etc.  They also tend to re-engineer into a studio session.  When you get these raw live performances, and leave in all the flaws and "extras", it helps, I think, to bring to the Live experience.  That's what I like.

As for U2

I honestly thought that the 360 Tour was mediocre.  Not really one of my favorites.  Mind you, I think seeing that stage would have been larger than life, but that's it.  I think my favorite Tour of theirs would still have to be the original ZooTV Tour, followed by the Elevation Tour, then the Joshua Tree Tour, and the Unforgettable Fire Tour.  I think that 360 really comes out just after that, maybe.  Hard to tell.  I will say that their latest tour, the Innocence one, from what I've seen and heard so far, comes in dead last.



 

4 comments:

  1. They're great live, but I'm still trying to figure out why they feel the need to do a tour hawking a 30-year-old album that sounded dated five years after it came out, much less 30. Depeche Mode didn't feel the need to do that last year with the 30-year anniversary of "Black Celebration," which is a MUCH better album than "Joshua Tree" could ever hope to be. Seems to me like U2 has a bad case of "we need to prop up our overly bloated egos by reminding people of what we were 30 years ago."

    I mean, I like the band, but this upcoming tour just smacks of desperation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @KidChaos2: i LOVE your blog, and your comments.

    Well, also for me the 360 was mediocre, and for the at the FIRST place there is (and always will be) the ZOO TV Tour.

    But hey man, i was in Campobvolo (Italy) in 1997, POP MART TOUR,....what a GIG !

    ReplyDelete