Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Dali's Car - The Waking Hour - 1984

When it comes to my own discovery of music, I am so glad that I have the internet to help me.  I felt that I had been blind (and deaf) my entire life once I began exploring the diverse and expansive landscape of Rock & Roll from it's inception through today.  EVERY DAY I learn something new about OLD music that I didn't know before, and I feel like an archeologist or pirate or explorer on a quest for the hidden treasure that has yet to be uncovered.

So was the case of Dali's Car

Until I did some in-depth research on Discogs of Peter Murphy and all of his musical dealings, I had never heard of Dali's Car.  Never knew it existed at all.  It took me a while to find the nine songs that they recorded in 1984, barely a whole album.  I listened once or twice, then put it away.  A couple months later, I tried it out again.   This time while I was surfing the net late at night, all alone.  Better.  And better again.  It sounds like Experimental/Synth-pop/New Wave with a touch of late 70s Bowie and some of that late 70s Prog.  I'm not ready to say that I'm in love with it or anything, but it's enjoyable and very interesting.

I'm sure when it was released, people were surprised because it is a far cry from what Murphy had done previously.  As for Karn, it seemed like an extension of his work with Sylvian in Japan.  I can only imagine what the fans of Bauhaus were thinking, though...

The great thing about it, is when I finally discovered it in 2009, a full 25 years after it's release, it didn't really sound that dated.  Partially due to the fact that Murphy has that universal and classical vocal style that never goes out of style.

I never heard their 2012 follow-up, after Karn's death.  It would be interesting to hunt it down and see how it holds up with this set.  I'm sure it's a cherry.

4 comments:

  1. Hey there, I've been lurking for a few months and thought I'd post something. Here's the 2012 EP "Ingladaloneness" you mentioned. Sadly, it's only 128k, but that's what I found it in a few years ago:
    http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/i142ALMG/file.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, welcome to my horror show. Secondly, thank you very much for this!!! I highly appreciate it! As for the 128, I could care less what it is, I can barely notice the difference and it's better than nothing/////

      Delete
  2. This is an AMAZING album. I got it when it came out back in the 80s, being a HUGE Japan & Bauhaus fan. I think it mixes the best of both bands -- the experimental tendencies of Japan and the new wave sensibilities of Bauhaus. I'll admit that I don't listen to it as much as I do the Peter Murphy and Daniel Ash solo albums, but I DO love this record. And I think the cover is an absolutely piece of artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. who ARE you lol... our taste in music if so similar it's frightening lol. and refreshing. Thank you I was just talking about this album and how my wife and I recently saw Poptone in concert and it was absolutely brilliant - I don't know if a 20 yr old would agree (I don't really care either) but how these four manage to remain relevant in this day and age is amazing. With the exception of Murphy making everyone sit through his last girlfriends 'girl on a stool with a guitar' routine and then jumping into the audience trying to get me to pinch his nipples during his performance (side note: this was only appalling to me because prior to the girlfriend opening act a fan right next to me had a seizure in the audience and I'm sorry but in the dark all I saw was a guy grabbing my wife's tits so I punched him and kicked him and felt absolutely awful about it when I realized what was going down and after that I didn't want to touch ANYONE'S nipples lol. I'm not a violent person it's just nobody puts their hands on my wife is all. That still sounds violent. whatever). The next time I caught Murphy he was fucking brilliant, his new band REALLY into his music new and old and very enthusiastic... I'm babbling again. Thank you for posting this. I love these guys. I guess I have even more respect for them because I don't know what it's like to be lucky enough to have such major success so young and be in my 60s and people only wanting to hear what I did when I was 20 years old for nostalgic reasons when my new music (Danny) is just as good... blah blah blah

    ReplyDelete