Sunday, March 12, 2017

Duran Duran - Madison Square Garden, New York - 1984

 And for the final show of "Live in Concert!" Week, I give you Duran Duran Live at Madison Square Garden, 1984!

I've tried to compare this show to Arena to see if it's the same show or not, but I can't tell.  It sounds like it is.  But, it's so much more than Arena was.  The song selection is so much better, including more of their early hits, and a lot more of S&tRT songs, as well.  You also get the illustrious Shadow Stevens, a definite blast from the past.  Makes me feel like I'm 13 all over again.

I find it surprising that they start the show off with Tiger Tiger, and tuning their instruments.  I thought they would take care of that during the soundcheck or something, so they could run out blasting from the get go.  Regardless, it helps to build that anticipation, and when Simon asks that one question, you can't help but shout out YES!  (Once you listen to the show, you'll know what the hell I'm talking about.)

Although it's a soundboard recording, it's still an FM Broadcast, so the clarity is lacking and the treble sounds a little muffled.  But, it's still the boys at their peak, at their best, and at their most-loved moments of their career.

Long Live Duran Duran.


 

5 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed "Live" week it has been a pleasure! Thank you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ja jaaaaa!!! I saw the smoke of the DD train coming!! I'll serve myself a cup of wine and sip it while I listen to this.
    Thanks KC2.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh when you suggested in your previous post. It had to be D2, right? I hope you enjoy the shows!

      Delete
  3. I saw DD for the first time in 1984 on the 7&tRT tour, and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. They looked and sounded amazing, and at the time I was a 19-year-old girl, so I was right in the thick of my "Durannie" phase (which I'm proud to say that at 52, I've never outgrown). I'll always love this band and their music, especially their earlier stuff, no matter how much some of my friends disparage them for being a "cutesy-poo" pop band. To me, pop music is NOT a dirty word, even though a lot of people act as though it is. Especially not when it's absolutely perfect pop music like the tunes on their first three albums.

    That said, this show is a stunner. It takes me back to those days of my youth when I thought this band was the greatest thing ever. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this tour in Toronto - I was there on the night when they grabbed some footage for the "The Reflex" video, with all of the arena lights suddenly flooding the place for one song. It was an incredible night. I was well into them, loved 7atRT quite a bit. *sighs* memories. The Notorious tour was a total bloody letdown in comparison, but then how could it not be??

    ReplyDelete