Friday, March 3, 2017

Bryan Ferry - Boys & Girls - 1986


I really haven't been the hugest Bryan Ferry fan, I would have to admit.  I like most of his solo material, and everything Roxy Music has done since about 1977.  But, I haven't gone out and scoured the internet trying to learn his favorite color or how many times he's brushed his teeth.  I just know him, and listen to him, and like his voice.

Boys & Girls was just another slab of vinyl that I picked up at the used record store in the early 1990s.  It took me a couple listens, but I grew to love it, and I did go out looking for his singles from this album.  I think that I liked it so much because of the Legend song IYLSE?  I had liked that ever since it came out and in the movie.  I found, and still find his voice and songs to be somewhat other-worldly or other-timely, or other-dimensionally.  Do you understand what I mean?  He seems to step outside of the norm and write and perform music that seems almost contrary to public taste, while still being very attractive and melodic.  Even the work of Roxy Music made me feel that way, too.

Anyway, here's the album and bonus tracks from that era, and also a disc of mixes.  You will find a nice batch of Dreamtime mixes in here, too.  Oh, oh my beloved Dreamtime.  Simple Minds on Wednesday and BF today.  More than a coincidence, I've been listening to a lot of his mixes of late...

With that, a message......

Oh, my beloved Dreamtime.  You are most definitely missed and I wish that you would come back and make us some more masterpieces.  Your work has always been outstanding, and I know that you're return would be heralded as one of the greatest comebacks ever.  PLEASE oh please oh please.....

That being said, enjoy Bryan's album tonight....


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, THIS ALBUM. I was into Roxy when I was in high school, but I didn't really fall in love with Ferry's solo work until this one. Every song on this is a gem -- such romantic songs, and that beautiful croon of his! This (along with Roxy's "Avalon") is one of the most romantic albums ever made. It's the perfect album to listen to with someone you love while sharing a glass of wine by candlelight and watching raindrops sparkle on the windowpanes, or watching a glorious sunset. This is pretty the perfect album for ANY romantic occasion, if you ask me. It's seduction on vinyl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I understand exactly what you mean about his music being otherworldly, or other-timely. Have you heard his album of torch songs and standards from the early part of the 20th century, "As Time Goes By"? I get that other-timely feeling whenever I listen to that. Ferry sounds just as much at home slipping into a Cole Porter song from the Roaring Twenties as he does singing Roxy's "Virginia Plain," which was an obvious product of the glam era.

    His music tends to carry me off into another world. Maybe it's just that honeyed croon of a voice. He could sing me the phone and I'd think it was the most romantic thing I ever heard. That voice is pure honey. Or melted chocolate. And I wouldn't mind having that stellar vocal prowess of his poured all over me!

    ReplyDelete