Monday, December 5, 2016

Go-Go's - Beauty & the Beat - 1981

So, I've had this one ready to go for about 5 weeks now, and as I post it, I still can't believe I decided to make this post.  I know that I've had a secret crush on Belinda Carlisle ever since I was a kid, but that doesn't excuse me from posting something like this.

Maybe, it's because they started off as a Power Pop/Pseudo-Punk band with a little bit of swagger.  Maybe it's because they were initially picked up by Stiff Records.  Maybe because deep down in the sub-tricuspidal regions of my heart I might actually like listening to this music sometimes.  I don't know.  We'll have to see about that.

I do know that it's rather difficult to piece together an early 80s compilation without including at least one Go-Gos song.  Especially Our Lips Are Sealed.  Even McDoc the remix maestro took the effort to remix one of their songs.  So, at least it's not just me.

My sister used to have this tape, and when she'd play it, we'd make fun of the song Skidmarks On My Heart, and call it "Skidmarks From A Fart".  I think that version sounds better.  Don't you?

Regardless, after using the promo-art from their first album and changing up the font for the title and the songs, I think the cover looks spectacular.  This is one of my favorites, and I don't even like pink.

2 comments:

  1. This is still one of my favorite albums from the early 80s. Being a teenage girl (a junior in high school) when it came out, it was kind of a revelation to see these girls playing drums and guitars and doing what you usually, with the exception of a few bands like the Runaways, only saw guys do. It made me want to start a band (which, sadly, I never managed to do)!

    And hey, I LIKE "Skidmarks on My Heart!" It's a fun little song. Actually, that's one of the reasons I still love this album. Because it's just so much FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been a girl group in the punk scene, I think people sold them short. That only boys can play that kind of music. But they proved them wrong and became trail blazers. And having gone from punk, to pop, and now being considered classic rock they will always be one of my favorite bands.

    Beauty & the Beast is my 2nd favorite album next to Vacation. But this is still a collection of great songs. Can't Stop The World and This Town (aside from the 3 hits) are the best.
    Our Lips AreSealed became a massive underground club hit for them. And truly changed everything. Them We Got The Beat hit the mainstream and made them a house hold name.

    And I think people would have viewed them differently if they were guys. With The Go-Go's, The Runaways, then later The Bangles girl band were not expected to play anything other than pop. But they were a great influence that girls (ney woman) could preform as well if not better than the boys.

    And pink is awesome. LOL. Thanks again for your selections, sir.

    ReplyDelete