Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The Vickers - Ghosts - 2014

I've really been anticipating posting this album for some time.  I had forgotten about it for a while, and finally remembered it as I was building my albums for Compilation Week (coming in a week and a half!).  I discovered them a little over a year ago, and have been fascinated with them ever since.....

From their website -
The Florence based new psychers will take you on a musical kaleidoscopic journey made of colours and space voices on flowing waves. They are influenced by the immortal 60′s melodies mixed with a touch of 90′s spleen. They toured Europe several times (recent tours December, February and May 2014) and they played at Primavera Sound Festival in Barcellona (May 2014). The Vickers released the new album “Ghosts” at the end of March, an example of their new sound, a clear example of modern expanded pop/rock! “Sounding like The Beatles after one too many acid trips”

 Also, here is the song/video that first grabbed me and impressed the shit out of me....

I've always thought they were a stellar band ever since...

I know that they aren't the bestest best band out there, but I find them very enjoyable, entertaining, and fun to watch.  I would really like to see them, but I'd have to go to Italy for that to happen.

Some of the best bands out there are undiscovered (or only very little "discovered").  I spend a lot of time on Jamendo , Soundcloud, and Bandcamp (I know I should probably look on Spotify and Reddit, but I found that I find better music on those three.)  There are a lot of great bands that given the proper exposure, could lead to something big.  This is how I found the Vickers, among a dozen other great outfits.

So, listen up, let me know what you think, and we'll see you tomorrow...

11 comments:

  1. I've never heard this band, but I'm going to check them out.

    Have you ever heard of Kill Hannah? FANTASTIC glam/pop band from Chicago. I got to know them pretty well when I was living in Milwaukee and dating a Chicago guy who was friends with them, and I can say that not only were they one of THE BEST live bands I've ever seen (I went to over 60 of their shows), but they're also some of the nicest people in the music industry. Sadly, they broke up at the end of 2015, but their great music lives on! I'd highly recommend picking up their albums "For Never and Ever," "Until There's Nothing Left of Us," and "Wake Up the Sleepers" for some absolutely stellar kickass music.

    And seriously, if "I Wanna Be A Kennedy," "Crazy Angel," and "Lips Like Morphine" don't get your feet tapping and your head nodding, then there's something very wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if I like them enough, I'll get them posted here. Thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete
    2. RA Feutz, I miss Milwaukee! Especially going to shows at the Rave and dancing at Club Anything, and book shopping at Downtown Books. If my Gran hadn't had a stroke and I had to move back here to VA to take care o her, I'd still be there!

      Delete
    3. Kid Chaos, I hope you like them! I think they're great -- they had this killer three-guitar attack on some songs that was just pure aural pleasure. They could rock hard, and at the same time they had great pop hooks. And since you lived in Chicago for a while, I thought you'd appreciate a good homegrown Chi-town band!

      Delete
    4. Not to eat up too much space here on the KidChaos2 comment section, but I enjoy the Rave, but some of the best shows I've seen were at Turner Hall and the good ole Shank Hall! BTW, I used to DJ at Club Anyhing (now The Local...same owner) back in early 2000's. :)

      Delete
    5. The posts are meant to inspire and spark conversation, dude. Talk all you want, I enjoy reading it.

      Delete
  2. I love any of this neo-psyche wave that has been spilling into the scene for last, I don't know, 10+ years. I guess technically it's not 'neo' anything if it persists as well as it has. Great material and new to me at the moment. I will add it to my file of bands that are current and similar.

    I'd highly recommend checking out any of the Reverb Conspiracy releases. Various artists releases that swim well within these psyche boundaries! https://soundcloud.com/fuzz-club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thanks for the info! I got it written down!

      Delete
  3. I have never come across this band before, but love them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm here for. Glad you like them!

      Delete