Monday, January 30, 2017

Republica - Self-titled - 1996

This was one of the bands my wife took a liking to, and I grew fond of it as time went by.  It isn't the best album, but it's a fun listen, and there's a couple really cool mixes on it.  They had one more album after this, and Saffron did a guest vocal with Robert Smith on that one Cure song Just Say Yes.  Too bad they didn't release any more material than that....

My wife and youngest son are out of town this week, as my wife is off looking for work.  She's still not found a job, and her unemployment runs out in a month.  So, it's my oldest son and I, and he likes spending time in his room alone (teenager), so I should be able to get a lot of work done here on the covers.  I'm actually making a folder of albums I haven't posted yet, so I can see how much longer I can keep this thing going.  Hopefully, I can fill it up....  can you ever "fill up" a digital folder? 

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS ALBUM. It's another one that I first heard on walking into a record store -- walked into Camelot Music, and "Drop Dead Gorgeous" was playing. I forgot about the cd I'd gone in to look for, bought the Republica, took it home and played it, and I've loved it ever since. It's not the greatest album ever made, true, but it's so much FUN! The songs are bouncy, there are some great hooks, and it has a lot of energy! AND it sounds great blasting out of the car on a hot summer's day with the windows down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camelot Music. Now there's one that I haven't heard in a while. Brings back memories...

      Delete
    2. Oh man, I miss Camelot Music SO MUCH. I found so many great cd's (and cassettes and vinyl before I got a cd player in 1991) in their bargain bins. You could find some pure gold if you were willing to spend time pawing through all the crap!

      Delete
  2. -= Martin L. Gore =-February 1, 2017 at 6:38 AM

    I love this album and especially READY TO GO!!! This is exactly what Power Pop should sound like!

    Thank you for the expanded version. By the way, I think this is your best cover design yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ¡Gracias man! I remember 1997-1998 in a video program of the National Television of Peru every time they put Bloke and Drop Dead Gorgeous! Techno Punk! I wanted to kill myself dancing the good that Republic sounded!

    ReplyDelete