Sunday, July 31, 2016

Sugarcubes - Here Today, Tomorrow, Next Week! - 1989

Sugarcubes' second album carried forward the quirky and esoteric music that made their first album so wonderful.  An interesting blend of jangle, synth, new wave and post punk with a hint of ethnic folk...  is all that even possible?

Having gotten on the Cubes bus a little late, after Stick Around and before It's It, I found it took several listens before I became accustomed to the sound.  I still don't like the Fred Schneider-like screaming by who I assume is Einar.  But, Bjork's vocals, while still young and wild, are really really awesome.  She is really a talented, albeit eccentric artist.

I know I'm missing a couple of mixes on here, but I'm pretty sure I have all of the tracks and b-sides.  I didn't want to throw on any of the demos, either.  I preferred this sleeve to the original album art.  The lettering is more classical and it has a very retro feel to it.  All in all, it's a pretty sleeve...

No comments:

Post a Comment