Saturday, October 1, 2016

Chris & Cosey - Trust - 1989

Again, in the late 80s, having been introduced to Industrial music through Skinny Puppy and Ministry, I looked feverishly for anything that resembled Industrial.  That, along with the distinctive Steven Gilmore cover, is how I found Chris & Cosey.

For those who don't know who Chris & Cosey are, I highly recommend clicking here.  To know the extensive back history of these two people really helps to understand and appreciate their work.  I DO say appreciate, as their work with Throbbing Gristle can only be appreciated, as I really think it sounds pretty bad.  But, obviously someone liked it....

The thing that I really liked about it was the samples and style of the music.  It came out in 1989, about the same time as Hellbound - Hellraiser II.  This album as samples from the original Hellraiser, so listening to this album while watching (or having watched) Hellbound really made my spirit shiver and curl.  Just creepy and frightening.

As the time has passed, I've found that I have to be in a really special mood to sit and listen to this.  Even the simple drive in the car with this playing is a little rough.  It's dark, seductive yet uncomfortable at the same time.  It just makes me feel uneasy now.  A little creeped out.

As for Cosey Fanni Tutti, be very careful when you Google her name.  You'd be surprised as to the pics you may find, based on her past career.  Naughty naughty!!!

6 comments:

  1. Looking forward to listening to this. I met Chris and Cosey in the summer. They live near to me and were at an local event hosted by Tim Burgess. Very friendly couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to listening to this. I met Chris and Cosey in the summer. They live near to me and were at an local event hosted by Tim Burgess. Very friendly couple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say this in the nicest way possible : to state you were "introduced" to industrial music via Skinny Puppy and Ministry, and then to say you think TG sound "bad" indicates you (and you're certainly not alone in this, lord knows) aren't quite down with what "industrial" really originally meant.

    And C&C, lovely people that they are, were also a few years past their prime by the time of this, sadly. You want some examples of that, look for Heartbeat, or Elemental 7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'll agree with you. My tastes in what I considered Industrial was more of the commercial pop side of it. I probably really don't like true Industrial music.

      That being said, if Skinny Puppy and Ministry aren't Industrial, does that include NIN and Front 242 and Frontline Assembly? What would you consider these bands if they are not Industrial? In all honesty and sincerity, I am very interested in knowing....

      Delete
    2. I've started to answer this 3 or 4 times now, and each try I realize that I'm going to go on and on like a hectoring schoolmarm if I don't stop myself. I don't want that - and I'm sure you don't want that either...

      The shortest answer though is just that the term "industrial" was sort of (nicely) altered or (less so) bastardized completely by the mid 80s in relation to what it originally was. TG pretty much WERE industrial, with a few notable compatriots (early CV, SPK, Lustmord, to name a few.)

      So for all those people you mentioned, I would say they're ones who might have been fans of those earlier things, but what they ended up doing was far more infused with dance and (whether they want to admit to it or not) pop influences. And if that's what you like most, that's cool, and really, to the most of the world, that is what the term describes now. But again, for those to whom the original connotations meant (and still mean) a little more, it can be frustrating sometimes. (Like it's really something to get upset over anyway, I know lol. But still.)

      So, in a more direct answer to your question - how about people who, for the most part, couldn't really write "songs", but knew enough so they could at least gussy it all up to at least sound palatable and "edgy"?

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your reply, and don't worry about the school marm bit, I know that's not your intention. I'm glad to learn new things about music from those who know and experience it best.

      Delete