Sunday, June 19, 2016

Bjork - The Homogenic B-Sides - 1997-98

IMHO, this was Bjork's last good album.  Her newest one, Vulnicura, isn't bad.  But it doesn't compare to the masterpiece that was Homogenic.  A dark, personal album, it spent a vast majority of the time talking about her deepest, innermost thoughts and feelings.  Poetically, her lyrics were unbelievably fantastic (I'm a fountain of blood in the shape of a girl).  And the execution of the album was flawless.

I had already been collecting all of her work, but this album became a particular obsession to find every little piece related to it.  I had a poster of the particular I used for the cover above, there, hanging on my wall for nearly three years.  And, I still own it, rolled up in a tube downstairs, protected forever.

The disc I've collected today is one of the first b-side compilations I made when I got my first CD Burner.  I've burned it, listened to, worn out and reburned this disc three times in the last 20 years.  I've changed the cover several times since I first made it, but this is the first time that I've considered changing the green cover to red.  I think it turned out well.  Obviously, this is simply the b-sides and the remixes, as it was the original set that I compiled.  Plus, I didn't want to mess with the structure of the original album.  It would only pollute it's perfection.

With that, sod off. (It's the name of one of her songs.  I'm not literally telling you to sod off ;) )

No comments:

Post a Comment