Friday, August 18, 2017

Huey Lewis & the News - Fore! - 1986

So, the third album I ever got was Sports by HL&tN.  I got it for my 14th birthday, because I sorta liked it, and my dad liked and approved of it, so we were all good with it.  Mind you, had I REALLY had a choice in it, I probably wouldn't have gotten it.  But, you take what you can when you have controlling parents.  But, I ended up loving the album.  It brings back so much of my youth whenever I listen to it.  Pure Rock and Roll.

When HL&tN released Fore!, I was rather interested, but that was when my parents had put the kibosh on secular music, and I was wading through Petra and Steve Taylor and Servant.  The secular music was hidden and discreet, and with limited funds, I couldn't afford much.  Especially when I was spending most of it on comic books (I obviously was a geek.)  I saw the videos, heard the singles, saw Back To the Future, and that was my extent with Fore!

Over the years I was able to come back around to HL&tN and Fore!  Another nostalgic album, it takes me back to simpler times, and the times in the eighties when the economy was good, youth was adventurous, and I was loving and living Chicago to the fullest.

At times I sometimes feel as if HL&tN is too American sounding, if you know what I mean.  But Huey just has a way with melodies and delivery that truly expresses his feelings and shows a side of Americana that most people take for granted.  He truly comes across as a auto mechanic with a microphone.  A hard-working, rough and dirty man with passion and drive.  He's a guy that you could see living down on the blue-collar side of town with a small house, crummy yard in a run-down neighborhood.  The everyman.  And, he's happy.  He's got a positive outlook, and he's motivated.  He feels GOOD.  That's what this album feels like to me.

I know the cover looks better with all of them spread across the image, but I wanted to get the single sleeves in there, as they are diverse and entertaining.  So, you get the original front, and the patchwork back that I so love.  I also have said that I don't care for individual live tracks, but I took exception with I Knew The Bride, because it's really fucking good.

Huey Lewis & the News - Fore! - Part 1       Huey Lewis & the News - Fore! - Part 2

PS - How many albums have I posted so far?  I'm too damn lazy to count.  A selection of choice for "deluxing" for the first person to tell me how many.  I should be close to the 500 mark by now......

5 comments:

  1. 528 albums so far by my count and so much great stuff! *thumbs up* Great album. Been a big Huey & News fan since I was a kid, too, and always thought they were terribly underrated as musicians and overlooked as too 'commercial' by those who thought of themselves as 'too cool' for this type of stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the little issue, though. First off, I know I've only made 530 posts, and I know there's around 10 or 12 that didn't have any music on them. Secondly, some of the posts included both an album disc and a remix disc, while some posts had them split up, like the Duran2 posts, I think I had the 7&tRT and Notorious albums split up like that. SO < it will take a little more work than just counting the posts.... But you were close, I think! Thanks for your guess!!!!

      Delete
  2. I love this album. Most of my friends back in the 80s turned their noses up at it, because it was all over the radio and therefore wasn't considered "cool" and "alternative." But I didn't care. It has great pop songs that are fun to sing along too, and I still think it's a great record -- and a lot of fun! -- even after all these years.

    (Though I will admit that I prefer "Picture This" over any other Huey & the News album. I mean, come on, that keyboard hook on "Tell Me A Little Lie" is one of the greatest things ever. And the sax solo in "Giving It All Up For Love." And I could go on, but I won't. Suffice it to say that I'm a Huey fan!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you might enjoy this as it contains all the single edits, b-sides and remixes ... so I am sure you can turn this into an even better collection with better scans:

    Huey Lewis & The News – Collected [3CD] (2017)

    CD1 has single edits: http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/GECRYNOA/HueyLewisCD1.rar_links
    http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/L48UT2ZO/HueyLewisCD2.rar_links
    CD3 with the remixes: http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1VAIYOSF/HueyLewisCD3.rar_links

    CD1

    01. Some Of My Lies Are True (Sooner Or Later)
    02. Now Here’S You (Single Version)
    03. Stop Trying
    04. Trouble In Paradise
    5. Do You Believe In Love
    06. Hope You Love Me Like You Say You Do
    07. Workin’ For A Livin’
    08. Tattoo (Giving It All Up For Love)
    09. Heart And Soul (Single Edit)
    10. I Want A New Drug (Single Edit)
    11. The Heart Of Rock & Roll (Single Edit)
    12. If This Is It
    13. Walking On A Thin Line (Singleedit )
    14. Bad Is Bad
    15. The Power Of Love
    16. Back In Time (Jellybean Single Mix)
    17. Stuck With You
    18. Hip To Be Square
    19. Jacob’S Ladder (Single Version)
    20. I Know What I Like (Single Version)

    CD 2

    01. Simple As That
    02. Doing It All For My Baby
    03. Perfect World
    04. Small World (Single Version)
    05. Give Me The Keys (And I’Ll Drive You Crazy) (Single Edit)
    06. World To Me
    07. alking With The Kid
    08. Couple Days Off (Short Edit)
    09. It Hit Me Like A Hammer (Sax Single Remix)
    10. He Don’T Know
    11. (She’S) Some Kind Of Wonderful
    12. But It’S Alright
    13. Little Bitty Pretty One
    14. 100 Years From Now
    15. We’Re Not Here For A Long Time (We’Re Here For A Good Time)
    16. Let Her Go And Start Over (Radio Edit)
    17. I’M Not In Love Yet (With Wynonna Judd)
    18. Pineapple Express
    19. Respect Yourself
    20. Just The One (I’Ve Been Looking For)

    CD 3

    01. Clover – Streets Of London
    02. Clover – Ain’T Nobody Own Nobody’S Soul
    03. American Express – Exodisco
    04. American Express – Kick Back
    05. Trouble In Paradise (Live)
    06. Flip Flop & Fly
    07. Oh! Darling
    08. Once Upon A Time In New York City
    09. Feelin’ Alright
    10. Lonely Teardrops
    11. Strokeland Superband Ft. Huey Lewis – Work With Me
    12. Brenda Lee & Huey Lewis – Oh! Happy Day
    13. Frankie Miller & Huey Lewis – Way Past Midnight
    14. I Want A New Drug (Extended Version/Dance Mix)
    15. Heart And Soul (Jellybean Remix)
    16. The Power Of Love (Jellybean Remix)
    17. Hip To Be Square (Dance Remix)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet, THANK YOU! Definitely will come in handy!

      Delete