Sunday, June 4, 2017

Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame - 1982

 
Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame - 1982

I got this album at the behest of a girl named Crystal in my English class my junior year.  I had just moved from Chicago and still having trouble adjusting to my new environment, when this hot girl who sat in front of me would turn around and talk, and we talked music and she said this was her favorite DM album.  Music For the Masses was still in my top 5 goto albums, and I had the People are People compilation, and a couple 12-inch singles, but at that time, that was about all the DM I had.  So, I went down and bought it.  Boy, was I disappointed. 

There's nothing wrong with the album.  It's got it's own style and mood and pacing.  The songwriting is fairly solid, and the execution is pretty tight.  I like the album, in it's own way.  I was just used to MftM and then I go back in time and listen to this.  Something of a letdown. I know that Martin had just started writing the music himself, so he was still learning.  Good for him.  It's surprising that he started like this, though, and then gave us MftM and Violator within 8 years.  Incredible.

It took me some time to get used to it.  Within a year, I had it memorized and singing along with Dave.  Monument is by far my favorite song, for some reason.  (Gusgus's version of it is killer)  The rest of the tracks, quite honestly, all tie for second.  There aren't any that I like more or less than the others.

When they released their deluxe versions, again, as with all the rest, I was pissed with what they gave us.  THIS is how it should have been.

Thanks, yet again, to Dreamtime.....

14 comments:

  1. I'm not downloading this (because I have it all), but tell me that you made a mistake on your cover and you did NOT remove "Shouldn't Have Done That" from the album. Because if you did, well...that title says it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am dumbfounded, really. I checked my blog folder, not there. Checked personal digital library, not there either. Checked wikipedia to ensure it was on that album, sure enough. I don't know why it's not on that, don't know how I missed it, don't know how it got deleted. A definite correction is in order. I will have it corrected before next weekend, for sure.

      When you are working on a timed schedule, as I've been with these covers, sometimes (a lot of times) you get in a hurry or make assumptions about your material, and things sometimes get overlooked.

      Delete
    2. Well, that's all cool. I was more concerned you'd made some high and mighty "editorial decision" I was going to have to berate you about.

      And I don't want that. And I know you don't want that.... :p

      Delete
    3. Lol. Yeah, I admit that I get a little hotheaded when someone gets confrontational. It's called "monitor glow" courage. 😙

      Delete
  2. For a slightly different slant on the album, I recommend giving the cover by Marsheaux a listen! http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2015/02/02/marsheaux-covers-depeche-mode-a-broken-frame/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already got it. Posted in back here .....

      http://alltheairinmylungs.blogspot.com/2016/11/marsheaux-broken-frame-2015.html

      Delete
  3. -= Martin L. Gore =-June 7, 2017 at 8:31 AM

    I LOVE your take on the cover ... I have EVERYTHING by DM but always appreciate your versions as they are better than the official deluxe versions ... and as you know I love your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  4. quote: "It's surprising that he started like this, though, and then gave us MftM and Violator within 8 years."
    Two words - Alan Wilder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always liked this album -- but then, I like ALL of Mode's records. I do think that the ones where Martin Gore wrote the songs are better than the first one that's mostly Vince Clarke, but I have a soft spot for their early music, because it's so bouncy and just FUN! My favorite track on this one would have to be "Leave in Silence," but I like the entire album. There's not a song on here (or on many Mode albums, actually) that I skip over when I'm listening to it. And like you, the other songs all pretty much tie for second place with me. I think it's a solid album.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's bought an album just to get on the good side of a hot girl!

    In my case, I didn't need any prompting. Violator was my first, MftM was my second and after that I became a pathologically obsessed DM collector. A Broken Frame was one of the first DM albums where I discovered the very early releases had their moments but not everything in their catalogue was going to be like "Black Celebration". Years later I discovered the Second Album Curse for bands so it all made sense.

    Also want to thank you for the incredible covers! New Depeched Mode themed wallpaper? Yes, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any chance of a re-post? My mate had this album but I didn't ever give it time, would love to hear it (plus the extras) . Thanks.

    ReplyDelete